Friday, March 4, 2016

Stress Eating

After nearly a year of eating clean.  After nearly a year of breaking up totally with refined sugar and artificial sweeteners.  After nearly a year of feeling my best - I had a bout with stress eating.

It. Was. Awful.

I don't stress about much.  I worry, don't get me wrong.  I obsess, even.  I tend toward perfectionism in many things.  But I don't stress.  Not for years.  What good does it do?  I'm not sure if I have a deep, well-thought-out opinion on fate or predestination or anything.  But I do believe things happen for a reason and you'll be a happier person if you take what you are given and make the best of it.

All that to say, that a series of events - and I mean one thing right after another - in the past 10 days have pushed me to stress eat.  And bite my cuticles (a habit I thought I had beaten some 3 years ago).

It's midnight, and I'm up.  Not because of stress, but because of the adverse effects of a bunch of junk in my body.  I am so used to eating only healthy, wholesome, real Paleo foods, that any stray from my usual fare upsets my system.  I might get a little bloated or have a less-than-pleasant bathroom experience when I eat something that isn't what I'm used to, but in the past, it has been rare and I have recovered quickly.

My theory is (and I have no research or scientific evidence to back this up...did I mention it's midnight?) that I keep my system free of all the potential inflammatory foods, all the preservatives, all the insulin-spiking sugars and artificial sweeteners and when I choose to go off plan for pizza - which is the one thing I will gladly suffer for!, I bounce back because it's in and then it's out.  And I am back on track the very minute the pizza is gone.

But this time - it's been a bit of this and a bit of that and it's piling up in my body.  I can feel it!  I had pizza and then I had a rice cracker or two.  And then I ate some cashews that were roasted in some oil that I can't process anymore.  And then I had a handful of popcorn.  Then half a dinner roll.  And then .... eek... and then.  And THEN it was my son's birthday and I made cake and bought ice cream - full dairy Blue Bell (the greatest ice cream at the grocery store) ice cream.  He's 17 and although he eats what I make him, he is a bit of an athlete and 100% teenager and expects cake and ice cream on his birthday! 

So, after 10 days of stress eating, I ate a big ole slice of cake and a monstrous scoop of ice cream...twice!

And I am paying the price.

*I stopped typing here about 4 days ago because I was so tired I thought I was going to fall asleep in the chair....*

Here we are 4 days after the birthday cake food orgy and I am in recovery!  Thank goodness!

I knew the morning after my midnight keyboard rant that I had to get my diet back under control.  I have been so deliberate about everything I cook and eat for the past 4 days and I am finally starting to feel like myself. 

I have been suffering from the worst pain in my knees and rotator cuff.  Stuffy sinuses.  Flat hair.  Bendy nails.  Gas.  Bloating.  And not sleeping for crap!

But after just 2 or 3 days of Paleo eating, I was sleeping like a baby again - all through the night (such a joy!).  All of the inflammation in my joints is gone - except my bothersome knee that enjoys causing my problems more than it should, but it is SOOOOO much better.  I am no longer bloated and I believe all the nastiness is out of my body.  I am still a little stuffy, but I am clearly on the path back to good health.

My lightbulb moment?  That eating clean, wholesome, real food that follows a Paleo diet is about so much more than weight loss!  Surprisingly, I didn't gain any weight during all of this stress mess, but I felt lousy.  I wonder if allowing myself the pizza during a time of stress weakened my resolve and let me slide a little too far down that slippery slope?  Or if a year just isn't enough to totally break up with sugar and the emotional habit of stress eating? 

Whatever the case, I am so thankful that I was able to stop before I went back to all my old unhealthy habits.  If I hadn't had this past year to enjoy the benefits of clean eating, I am certain I could have easily gone through the drive-thru or grabbed a diet soda or one of the sugar laden coffee drinks I used to need every afternoon. 

Cleaning out my system of all the addictive foods, fats, preservatives and sugars has put me in control for probably the first time in my adult life!  Once an addict, always an addict, I guess - but I was able to recognize it, make better choices and get back to health.  I'm kind of proud of myself!

I share this because I know quite a few people who have started and stopped "dieting" over and over and over.  I even know people who struggle going 100% Paleo for that all-important first 30 days.  And I want everyone to know that there are HUGE rewards in store for you if you can just eliminate all the grains, gluten, dairy, soy, legumes, refined sugars and artificial sweeteners for 30/60/90 days beyond losing a bunch of weight.  Health and vitality and great hair days and self-confidence and the feeling of being in control.  A lightness and feeling 10 years younger and physical abilities that I thought were lost. 

It's worth it to try ... or to try again!  And I can say without a doubt - it's NOT worth it to stray and go back to your old habits.  No cracker or piece of cheese or dinner roll or piece of cake is worth feeling yucky. 

I will still eat pizza every month or so - it's my choice and now I am certain that I can do it without a lot of consequences IF I eat clean, eat pizza and get right back to eating clean.  The saying goes, "It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle" and the saying is 100% right!

3 comments:

  1. I am stuggling so with wanting to try this as a lifestyle. We are going to start later this month to do our first Whole 30. I have already started making some meals this way. But I DON'T want to spend the rest of my life eating this way!!! I want to be able to have a slice or two of pizza and a dab of birthday cake with ice cream. If it will make me feel as miserable as this I am not sure I even want to start! I want it to be a lifestyle. But is it really a lifestyle to not eat all those things we love??? Oh what a challenge this is. Thanks for your honesty here Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably left out one key point in my stress eating ramble...I felt this crappy EVERY DAY before I switched my diet. I just didn't know it. I chalked it up to "aging" and took a Tylenol or three! The other thing I didn't mention is the junk food I have allowed myself to eat - tastes AWFUL! The cheese is like a plastic, rubber, slick texture. The sweets are overpowering (like the drug I now know they are). The bread, which I had been dreaming about (!!!) wasn't really satisfying. I assume it's because I have cleared all the preservatives and junk out of my system - but it was like I could actually taste the chemicals in the meats and dressings...is that too weird?
    I have learned how to make almost all of my favorite foods without using the things that upset my system and I don't really miss them. I think I'm nostalgic for them...like I used to wish I could watch the Batman show from my childhood (because I loved it and "they just don't make tv like that anymore" and "wouldn't my kids love that show?") and then I was able to watch an episode ... and it was less than I remembered. I'd have been better off to let it live in my memory! Same with my favorite fast food sandwich...it was disappointing...
    And seriously, as long as you are eating clean and decide to have pizza or whatever and then go back to eating clean - it's more of an 8-hour 'bug' that passes pretty quickly. I just got complacent and grazed through a bunch of things our bodies just aren't made to process and it took longer to get it out and the effects were worse.
    If you do the Whole30 and the 10-day reintroduction, you will know almost immediately what you are sensitive to and you will have to be more careful with those things (for me, it's dairy...and I had no idea I was sensitive to dairy until I went through the process!)
    I'm anxious to hear how your first 30 days goes...it's life-changing (and in a really good way!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just get really nervous about the idea of eating what I will call 'real food' after the Whole 30 is over and feeling crappy!!

      Delete