Friday, February 12, 2016

New To Paleo? Ask Me Anything!

This week has been filled with questions from people I am meeting through people I know.  And that's different than questions from people I know.  People I know - know me!  Know my story.  Know my struggles with weight and although I never really talked about it - probably always knew I had food issues and addiction.

People I meet through people I know probably know me from my Facebook page or an event at school or through my PaleoPlus Meals and Instagram.... I've always been a clean eater to the people I meet through people I know these days.  And that makes answering their questions different.

I don't want to bore them with my story.  I don't want to refer them to this blog at the risk of sounding like one of those over-self-promoters.  I don't want to assume I know why they are interested in Paleo eating.  I can't assume everyone wants to lose weight.  Or is done with achy joint pain.  Or headaches.  Or tummy bloat. 

But I also want to make sure they understand how Paleo has worked for me.  I want them to give serious thought to committing to 30 days of squeaky clean eating.  Giving up ALL the bad stuff - especially the sugars and artificial sweeteners.  I want them to know there is a light at the end of the "I miss bread so much I could die!" tunnel.

So I talk too much - a specialty of mine.  Or I talk too little - a defense against the fear of boring someone.  And then I worry.  I got into my PaleoPlus life and started Wildflower Kitchen because of how drastically it has changed my life and the lives of my family and friends (and a few thousand people I follow on social media!).

I hope they check out My Story on this blog.  I hope they browse around My Paleo Tips for Success and go back to the end of December 2015 and read all the posts I wrote offering some practical suggestions for getting ready to eat clean.  I hope they do their own research and ask me questions and follow up questions and more questions...because I am always happy to answer.

I just don't want to assume they want me to ramble and share and coach.

But I really want to ramble and share and coach.  Did I mention this has been life-changing????  Sorry, but I feel the need to tell a story...

I went to the doctor today - with NO FEAR of scolding!  I didn't worry when they put the blood pressure cuff on.  I didn't have an anxiety attack at the scale.  I am not concerned about my cholesterol or sugar (of course, I've recently had those checked and passed with flying colors!).  I didn't have to pay a valet because my knees and feet hurt too bad to walk a long distance.  I took the stairs - down AND up!  The gown covered my entire body with room to spare!  (for those of you who have never had that experience...you are so lucky.  To sit there and know that you are bigger than the one-size-fits-most hospital gown, trying to pull it around your freezing cold person and being embarrassed and nervous and wanting to cry...sorry - that was me...I was projecting!  See?  I told you - I tend to ramble!)  Anyway - in one short year - my life has changed.  I'm 75 pounds lighter, healthier, happier, pain-free and inspired every day.  And I want to tell everyone!

I want people to DO THIS!   To give it a try.  To ask me questions.  To try new things in the kitchen.  To celebrate all the new flavors and textures they are eating.  To pay attention to the fact that their taste buds are waking up after probably years of being comatose in a sea of sugar and artificial sweeteners and chemicals and preservatives.  (and to fully understand that I am in no way a doctor or dietitian or nutritionist or certified expert of any kind...just a woman with a passion and a pretty awesome success story who loves to teach and share!)

And so, I am guessing I have probably failed this week talking to the people I am meeting through people I know.  But I will continue to try and be the best Paleo/Clean Eating/Real Food/Primal resource I can be and hope I don't talk too much ... or too little ... or ramble ... or over-share - you know what, I can't promise not to over-share...it's in my dna!...but I will be here for the people I know and the people I am meeting through people I know and even people I don't know yet. 

I guess it's true - when something gets a hold of you and lights that fire inside - you have to talk about it - to anyone who will listen.  Because if just a few people listen and try and change and have even a little bit of the experience I have had...I will be satisfied.

1 comment:

  1. I love your website your Facebook page and your advice. And even when you ramble. Lol! You are my inspiration

    ReplyDelete