Friday, February 5, 2016

Paleo Superbowl? Paleo Buffalo-Style Wings!

Sunday is the "Big Game"...and since none of my family's favorite teams are playing, our get together is more about the food and the commercials this year!  (Let's be honest, I am a die-hard Cleveland Browns fan...every year tends to be about the food and the commercials...sigh...)

Here is my dilemma....we just finished a Clean Eating Kick Start, so having something off-plan is totally within my guidelines.  I mean, I made it an entire 30 days without one stray off the very strict Clean Eating path...I'm hankerin' for a treat of some kind.

Dilemma #2...what should that be?  I really don't spend any time thinking about the foods I "miss".  (and please don't translate that to mean I am some kind of Paleo saint...I spend inordinate amounts of time thinking about all the foods I can have...and will have...and want to try...and want to cook...and want to shop for...and want to enjoy!...I'm still a Foodie all the way down to my toes!)

So, when faced with a chance to have something that doesn't fit our traditional PaleoPlus fare - there really are so many choices.  Pizza?  Always a favorite.  Wings?  No way, I prefer my Paleo version (recipe to follow)!  Beer?  Nope, no headache is worth that.  Chips & Queso?  Maybe...that really is a good one...it's Texas, for goodness sake!  Spinach Dip?  Ooooohhhhh....I like the way that sounds, but I did make a really good Paleo version over the Christmas break, so probably not.

Ice Cream!  That's IT!  I want ice cream.  I'm going to do a Sundae Bar and have Blue Bell Peppermint Ice Cream and maybe something else the kids like...but you know the rules - the gal who shops, chops and cooks gets to decide the menu.  I love my family, but if they don't specifically ask for something, this Super Bowl menu is all mine!

I think it's kind of funny that I when my brain went to the peppermint ice cream (if you live where they sell Blue Bell and you haven't tried the peppermint yet...what are you waiting for?  Get out there!  Get shopping!  Grab a spoon - it's just perfect right when you get home from the store and it's had some time to melt around the edges!...but buy the small one and be thankful that it's a seasonal flavor and not there to tempt you year-round!)

I was always a salty/savory craver.  I never really died for sweets.  I was clearly addicted to sugars and artificial sweeteners, but I craved chips and dips and pretzels.  So many things change when you clean up your diet.  So I expected to decide on a salty indulgence for this year's Super Bowl menu.  Maybe it's because I've figured out how to substitute and make most of the things I love PaleoPlus friendly.  And I can't make this ice cream.  Don't get me wrong - I have an ice cream maker...but I don't like to make ice cream.  It's expensive.  It's time-consuming.  It takes up very valuable real estate in my freezer.  And it's not as free-form and immediate as cooking in a saute pan.  So, Blue Bell ice cream it is!

The rest of the menu will be Paleo.  Wings Two Ways - Teriyaki and Buffalo.  Veggie Tray with Paleo Dump Ranch.  Plantain Chips and Sweet Potato Chips with Guacamole.  And perhaps this Dark Chocolate-covered Paleo Bacon I saw on Pinterest...depends on my time-management, I guess!

And the Sundae Bar - my kids asked for sprinkles, gluten-free chocolate cookie crumbles, whipped cream out of the can (don't judge us - we love that crap!) and homemade paleo chocolate sauce.  Done!

I wish I could tell you I had a super-secret recipe for my wings that would make it worthy of being in a best-selling cookbook - but it's pretty standard stuff.  I will share it with you, because I think the reason people pay for wings is that they don't realize how simple it is to make them at home.  The secret is in this 2-step cooking method.  (I want to say I saw it on a Guy Fieri cooking show on Food Network many moons ago...I love him!, but I'm not positive.)  Whatever brilliant chef shared this - thank you!  It has made it possible for my family to enjoy platter after platter of wings without having to pay the crazy-high prices or endure the deep-fried tummy ache that ultimately follows.

So, here's how I do it!

Ingredients:

To roast the wings (do this step the day before) - 
5 pounds of chicken wings (if you're cutting your own - don't throw away the tip - use it to make bone broth or stock!)
Avocado Oil
Salt and Pepper

Buffalo Sauce - 
1/3 cup Frank's Red Hot (or other compliant hot sauce)
1/3 cup Ghee (or coconut oil or grassfed butter)
1 T garlic powder
1 T paprika
Juice of one large lemon
2 T apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper

To start the wings:
Preheat oven to 400°
Drizzle avocado oil over the wings to coat - you can do this on the sheet pans or in a large bowl prior to placing them on the baking sheets.  Place wings in a single layer on baking sheets covered in parchment paper or Silpat liners.  Roast for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven, flip the wings over and roast for an additional 20 minutes or until the wings are nearly cooked through and the skin is starting to turn golden brown.  (You will finish these wings on the grill, so be careful to not overcook them).
Let the wings cool, place in zipper bags or covered containers and put in the refrigerator overnight. Something about this step of cooking, cooling and grilling makes the meat come right off the bone when you are chowing down on these babies!

To finish the wings:
Get the wings out of the fridge and allow to come to room temperature (about 30 minutes before you want to start your grill).
While they are warming up, prepare your Buffalo Sauce.  Melt the Ghee in a sauce pan over medium heat.  Add the remaining ingredients, whisking to combine.  Simmer for 5-10 minutes and remove from heat.  (You may be tempted to bend over and take a big whiff of this delightful sauce as it's cooking - but DON'T!  It will make your eyes water and your nose burn from the peppers.  Hot sauce must be respected!)
Preheat your grill to 375° (ish).  Give the wings a stir to make sure they are still covered with a hint of avocado oil.  If they seem dry - brush your grill with oil so they don't stick and pull off all that crispy skin.  Once the grill is hot, place your wings on the grate and grill until you reach the desired crispiness and grill marks (about 5-6 minutes per side).  Remove from the grill and place in a large metal bowl (or any bowl large enough to hold all your wings).
Pour the prepared Buffalo Sauce over the wings and toss to coat.  Serve warm with veggie sticks and your favorite Paleo Ranch dip.

I hope you enjoy these wings as much as we do.  It's a few steps, but they are so ridiculously good!  We'll have half in this sauce and the other half in my favorite Paleo Teriyaki Sauce - from Russ Crandall/The Domestic Man's Paleo Takeout cookbook - a good investment for anyone searching for a Paleo cookbook - so far - every single recipe - delightful!  Go Peyton!  Go Cam!  Go Broncos!  Go Panthers!  Go WINGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment