Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Cleaning Up My Act - or at least venting about it!

Today is Day 3 of a CleanLeanMean15 - so 15 days of squeaky clean Paleo eating (minus even the low-glycemic sugars) to get me ready for the holidays.  To get my body free of the junk I consumed looking for comfort at the end of chemo and radiation.  To just feel better!

I've been a Paleo convert for well over a year and I know exactly what I need to do.

But temptation is temptation and sugar addiction is sugar addiction and gluten withdrawal is gluten withdrawal.  So today, I am dealing with the funny, salty taste in my mouth.  The teeny, tiny headache and the wandering, sweet treat craving brain.  And let's not forget convenience....Paleo eating is not as convenient as a classic American diet of bread and cheese and things deep fried in vegetable and peanut oils.  So - I have to plan on top of everything.

But I am determined.

I know the benefits of clean eating first hand.

I already feel lighter and healthier and proud of myself for my resolve.

But...isn't there always a but when we are trying to do what's right and maybe not easy????...of course there is!

But, when I am tired (and I am tired today) and over-booked (and I am over-booked this week) and still fatigued from radiation (sigh...ready to be done with this...), I find myself wanting to quit.

I think it's because this is the very first bout of clean eating I have done without my family.  I am alone in this endeavor in my house.  So, there are fruit snacks being put into lunches and coconut-sugar-sweetened tea in my fridge and some tempting organic maple syrup calling my name whenever I made barbeque sauce...

So, I have a few Clean Eating buddies that I can text when I feel weak.  A phone that allows me to post pictures of the healthy choices I am making.  And a Facebook Page that I can use to encourage myself as I encourage others to stick to it until the 15 days are done.

When I first started Paleo eating - I did 30 full days of squeaky clean eating - I was 100% over my cravings by day 11.  I was celebrating lots of extra energy and better sleep and no more bloat and clearer skin and shinier hair and let's be honest...a tinier wasteline!

SOOOOO...if that holds true - I only have about a week to go until I am out of the temptation woods.  I can do anything for a week.  We all can do anything for a week - even giving up drive-thru's and candy bars and soft drinks and coconut sugar in our morning coffee (yes, that is what I miss most of all!!!).

Sorry for the venting, but it helps me get through things and put things in perspective and strengthens my will to do right...yep, I think it worked.  I no longer feel like I may sneak out and buy a dozen cupcakes and eat them in my car.  I am going to post this and grab some chopped veggies and a touch of unsweetened almond butter and be proud of myself.

Happy Clean Eating!

1 comment: