Monday, November 2, 2015

Getting Our Arms Around Clean Eating

This week a group of us are embarking on 15 days of squeaky-clean eating.  We are eating Paleo minus ALL sugars.  That requires a commitment, because sugar is hiding in everything! 

I remember (and frequently tell the story) of the day my husband and I tried to find a boxed chicken broth or stock that was sugar free...really????  Sugar in chicken broth???  I had no idea.  AND it took us 3 stores to finally find a free-range, organic, sugar free chicken broth.  And the store is not at all convenient to my house.  Figures!

My point is - you have to shop differently.  You have to re-learn how to read labels. 

I've always looked at 3 things on a label - the calories, the sugar grams and the sodium.  I don't know that I ever looked at the list of ingredients.  I am positive I never read the list from start to finish.  I didn't know all the different ways they could list sugar and artificial sweeteners on a label.  I didn't know what a nitrate was or why I should avoid them.  At first I confused added sugar with the grams of sugar in an item.  Now, I look at the list, not the nutritional section.  Some sugar is natural and not added to a product. 

I am a vigilant label-reader these days.  And, I have become such a knowledgeable shopper that I know what I need from which store and what is a good vs. a GREAT price for all my favorite items.  And I know what is in all of the items I buy.  And it only took a couple of months of shopping and living Paleo to become an expert.

I am certain I have said this before - but when I purchase something packaged, I look for things with very few ingredients AND ingredients that are recognizable and easy-to-pronounce.  That will get you away from chemicals and additives and preservatives and many of the artificial sweeteners that are lurking in our food.

The easiest Paleo shopping trick is to buy fresh produce, proteins, nuts and seeds.  They have ONE ingredient.  Whatever you're buying.  The only thing in an avocado is avocado.  The only thing in cauliflower should be cauliflower.  Chicken should only be chicken. 

Buying fresh ingredients means more cooking.  And, just like shopping - you have to learn to cook a little bit differently.

I have given up all the cheaper, unhealthy, highly processed oils in favor of avocado, coconut and organic olive oil and ghee for cooking.  These oils benefit my body and don't cause harm.  Healthy fats - who knew?! 

We love Asian cooking, so we substitute coconut aminos for soy sauce.  Same great taste, but no adverse effects on my digestive system or my son's complexion! 

I splurge for cage-free eggs and I eat almond butter instead of peanut butter.  I make my "rice" out of cauliflower and I use lettuce leaves or sweet potatoes as the "bread" for my chicken salad sandwiches.  My kid's lunches are "weird" (according to them), but they never come home from school complaining of headaches or tummy aches, which makes weird perfectly fine!

It took me 2 or 3 months before I found my PaleoPlus system for shopping and cooking.  It took another  month or so to try and tweak the recipes I found on Pinterest or Instagram or the internet.  And now, I have my arms all the way around Clean Eating. 

I don't have to think about it.  I am not tempted by non-compliant foods in my home - because they aren't IN my home anymore! 

I have my 2 or 3 go-to emergency meals (chopped veggies and fruit with 2 T of almond butter, scrambled eggs with a tossed green salad, fruit and nut bowls - which is just a sliced banana with a handful of frozen or fresh berries, topped with some almond milk and a few nuts and seeds for crunch and Boar's Head beef salami rolled around pear slices or cubes of cantaloupe.)  These all take less than 10 minutes to prepare and include ingredients I always have on hand.

I also keep homemade meatballs, soup or chili and cauliflower rice in my freezer at all times!  Tired and hungry cannot tolerate an empty fridge or a clean eater without a plan.  The drive thru or frozen pizza will win if you don't stay prepared.

You can't expect to be an expert at PaleoPlus eating right away.  All you have to do is commit to a new way of eating for all the right reasons.  That commitment should keep you from getting discouraged or giving up while you learn develop your own PaleoPlus system.  You can do this!






No comments:

Post a Comment