Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Asian Style Garlic Green Beans

I love these green beans!  LOVE THEM!

I have had a version of these green beans at Asian restaurants for years and tried to make them at home (without a recipe, cuz really?  how hard can it be?  right?) and failed.  Until Paleo.

Paleo has made me an expert at reading and searching and modifying recipes to suit this new clean way of eating.  And some recipes are so good that you have to go out and buy the cookbook.  Because the man is a Paleo genius!

"The man" is Russ Crandall and his cookbook is Paleo Takeout.  So far I've made 13 of his recipes and found them all to be delicious.  His story is a good one and his explanation of his way of eating and cooking Paleo is easy to understand.  And, since Chinese and Thai carryout is my favorite food indulgence - it's made Paleo eating easy peasy on those nights I'm craving a carry out box and some chopsticks.

And...drum roll please...he has a super-simple recipe for the green beans I LOVE.  There are some specialty ingredients to buy, but trust me - you will enjoy the heck out of having them in your pantry!



I made a couple of simple changes to make it Whole30 compliant (because I am eating squeaky clean right now) and I added some homemade chili paste to spice it up for my sweet husband (who loves these too!)

1 T coconut oil
1 pound green beans, washed and trimmed
1/2 t (I use a "splash") of coconut aminos (the original recipe calls for organic tamari)
1/2 t Chinese cooking wine (once again - a "splash")
1/4 t sea salt
Dash of white pepper (buy this in bulk to save money)
6 cloves of garlic - I just minced up a jar full this weekend, so that's what I used, but sliced as in the original recipe - looks better
1/4 - 1/2 t of Paleo Sambal chili paste (depends on how hot you like it - or leave it out)



In a non-stick skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers (takes about a minute).  Add the green beans (make sure they are dry so they don't splatter the oil) and stir-fry until bright green, about 1 minute.

Add the remaining ingredients and toss to combine.  Stir fry until the garlic is golden brown and aromatic, about 30 seconds, then serve.



My son loves to take these cold in his lunch, which is tough because there are rarely any leftovers!


No comments:

Post a Comment