Thursday, October 15, 2015

Paleo Scrambled Eggs

Cage-free egg scramble with sweet potato hash (with peppers and onions) and compliant bacon

I can honestly say that eggs saved me from cheating my first 30 days of clean eating.  I wasn't that good at meal and ingredient prepping in the beginning and I have 2 teenagers and a husband who works weird hours.  So many evenings got away from me.  Evenings where I would have gone to a fast food restaurant for a giant junk meal or to the freezer for a thick-crust pepperoni pizza (with a bag of chips and a soda).  Instead - I made a LOT of scrambled eggs.

Super easy.  Super quick.  And, for me, Super comfort food!

I used to make "Momma Eggs".  My picky-eater kids would ONLY eat "Momma Eggs"...and you know why?  Because they were really more cheese and milk than eggs.  Four kinds of cheese.  In large handfuls!

So, I was worried that they wouldn't eat Paleo scrambled eggs - no cheese, no dairy.

I tried substituting the milk with home-made almond milk.  It was okay, but actually gave the eggs a distinctly different-than-we-were-used-to taste.  So, I tried spices.  Then I tried scrambling them with any number of meats and veggies.  We ate all of my scrambled egg attempts - it was late, we were hungry!  They didn't taste bad...they just weren't Momma Eggs!

Finally, after a few months of trial and error and dozens and dozens of cage-free, organic eggs, I can tell you that we all prefer super simple scrambled eggs made like this:

3 eggs
1-2 T of water
1 T of ghee (this is the secret flavor weapon)
Pinch of salt
Tiny pinch of white pepper (optional)

Break the eggs in a medium bowl and whisk thoroughly.  Add water (my daughter likes more, my son and I like less...just try both and decide for yourself), add salt and pepper and whisk again.

Melt ghee over medium-low heat in a non-stick pan.  Pour egg mixture into the heated pan and then, using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, mix the eggs by scraping from the outside of the pan into the middle, using long strokes until the eggs are cooked to your preferred consistency.

It takes longer than constant stirring or using a higher heat, but there's something about having the eggs cooked gently (lower heat) and less broken up (using long strokes and not stirring like crazy) that gives them the texture of "Momma Eggs".   I also believe the high quality of cage-free, organic eggs makes them taste so much better, even with this simple preparation.

And Ghee...well, Ghee just makes everything taste better.  It's a form of clarified butter, but so intense.  I cook all my "comfort" foods in Ghee...because I grew up on southern and Midwestern comfort foods and that usually means butter.  This is the healthy version - no dairy to aggravate allergies and clog things up, plus lots of digestive benefits and soluble Vitamin A & E!  Did I mention the intense butter flavor??? 

Anyway, we still eat a lot of eggs for late suppers or weekend lunches - they are easy on the belly and go with everything from tossed salad to hash to any leftover veggie in your fridge, as well as sliced avocado or fresh fruit..and of course, a few slices of compliant bacon!

Remember, simple, perfect ingredients make the meal!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment