Wednesday, December 30, 2015

PaleoPlus New Year Tip #7 - Meal Plan

Getting lean and feeling better on a Paleo diet is surprisingly easy.  Learning to prepare healthy, nutritious Paleo meals is tougher.  Especially when you lead a normal, busy life.

The solution is MEAL PLANNING.



I'm not talking about creating a 4-course menu for each day of the week with details and picture-perfect plating.  I'm talking about knowing what you like.  Being realistic about how much time you can devote to cooking each night (plan for at least one "didn't go as planned" emergency meal each week).  Knowing the elements of a basic Paleo meal.  Simple meal planning, not extravagent meal planning.

After that you can go shopping, do some chopping and freeze something (tomorrow's Paleo Tip).

But for today - sit down with pen and paper or your favorite list making app and write down:
  • Favorite proteins (fish, chicken breast, pork loin, steak, eggs, etc)
  • Favorite veggies (that can be eaten raw, steamed, sautéed or roasted)
  • Favorite healthy fats (avocado, raw/unsalted nuts (no peanuts), organic olive oil, ghee)
  • Favorite fruits (usually eaten raw or using the juice (from the whole fruit) in a sauce or marinade) 
A basic meal if you are doing 30-Days of Squeaky Clean Eating (the very best way to restart your system and get optimal results) should include:
  • 4-8 ounces of lean protein
  • 3-4 servings of veggies
  • 1-2 servings of healthy fats
  • Fruit should be eating sparingly*
*I have a very picky child, so she ate more fruit than is intended, but considering she was no longer eating fast food, grains, glutens and dairy - I knew she would still benefit (and she did!)  You have to be realistic if you are cooking for kids or doubters. 

I also needed a few snacks.  We didn't snack a lot, but I found the adjustment to eating food that my body could easily process was a little bit shocking.  I clearly remember the first time I woke up and thought I was starving. (I wasn't, but it was a very new kind of hunger!)  So, I found a couple of things I could keep in my purse or car or desk drawer that were really yummy and on my clean eating plan.  Once again - think about what flavors and textures you really enjoy - things that will satisfy you.

Don't get caught up in searching recipes and creating Pinterest boards (believe me, that will come later if you love this as much as I do!) and getting overwhelmed before you even start.  Just think about the whole, real, unprocessed foods that you already like or the foods you've always wanted to try and make your list. 

Feel free to message me on my Facebook page (Wildflower Kitchen) or leave a comment here or e-mail me at wildflowerkitchencafe@gmail.com with any brand name or specific food questions.  I have found through a lot of trial and error and expense what foods are compliant and taste the best - and I am happy to share that knowledge with you.

The benefits of a Paleo lifestyle are amazing and worth the effort - but don't sabotage your success before you really have a chance to experience them (usually around the 14-15th day) by not doing a little planning ahead of time!

Tomorrow - Tip #8 - Prep, Shop & Chop

No comments:

Post a Comment