Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Super Quick Party Snacks

Tis the season...for holiday get-togethers!

Last week I gave you my top tips for surviving holiday parties while remaining committed to a healthy, paleo way of life.  I survived every party EXCEPT my daughter's 14th birthday party.  And it was a planned cheat.

I hate to use that word - Cheat.  I'm an adult.  I can eat whatever I want without guilt.  I make my own choices.  I know exactly what is good for my body and what will cause me pain.  So, by cheat, I mean choice.  I knew before I starting mixing the batter that I was going to have birthday cake with my kiddo.  I also knew that she wanted a "regular" cake for her party.  She wanted chocolate butter cream piled high!  I did substitute coconut oil for vegetable oil because I just don't keep it in the house and wasn't about to make a special trip to the store to buy something I will never use again.

Thank goodness for the internet and Pinterest.  I had never subbed coconut oil in baking before.  I use it in the recipes designed for coconut oil, but this was a first.  I learned that all your other wet ingredients need to be at room temperature in order for the substitution to work its best.  whew!

Anyway, I have a couple other events and even though I'm not "supposed" to bring anything...I know I will.  And, on occasion, I will wait 'til the last minute!

So, in case you are like me and need to figure out a quick social snack or maybe even a hostess gift - here are a couple of really quick appetizers that come together in minutes.

1.  Rosemary Sweet and Salty Roasted Nuts

I make these on my stovetop in a non-stick pan.  Line a plate or baking sheet with parchment paper. Make a spice mixture out of whatever you have in your pantry that you like...I used a pinch (1/4-1/2 t) each of garlic powder, onion powder, pink Himalayan salt, cayenne and finely chopped fresh rosemary.  Melt 1 T avocado oil and 1 T ghee in your pan.  Take whatever nuts you have (I used 1 cup of raw almonds, 1/2 cup of pecan pieces and 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds) and toss them in the melted fat to coat.  Sprinkle with your spice mixture and continue to stir/toss the nuts until you can smell their aroma - it takes 5-6 minutes.  Pour the nuts out onto the parchment paper to cool and drizzle with raw, local honey.  Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before pouring into a serving dish.  If you are planning to give these as a gift - let them cool completely before packaging in a glass or plastic container.

2.  Bacon-Wrapped Dates

I buy Medjool dates and keep them for baking and to sweeten homemade nut milks and granolas, so I almost always have these on hand.  I also always keep Paleo bacon in my freezer...if I find it readily available or ON SALE - I buy 4 or 5 packs and freeze them!  And every Paleo fan that I know has a stash of almonds in their pantry.  These take 5 minutes to prepare and 15-20 minutes to cook.  Easy!  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375°.  Slice the bacon into halves.  I then slice mine in half lengthwise to get more bang for my buck...but you can easily use an entire half piece for each date!!!  Slice each date in half and remove the pit.  Stuff one or two almonds in the center and wrap with bacon.  You can secure it with a toothpick OR place the bacon-wrapped date cut-side down on the baking sheet and it will secure itself during the cooking process.  Cook for 7 minutes, then flip each date over and cook for another 7 minutes.  I like to finish mine under the broiler to really crisp up the bacon for 4-5 minutes (depending on your broiler).  These are great warm or at room temp.  For an added kick, mix 2 T coconut sugar with a tiny pinch of cayenne and sprinkle over the top before putting them in the oven.  (Avoid this step if you are squeaky cleaning it)

3. Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus (sorry, no picture...we always eat them too fast!)

This is by far the easiest...but most expensive and you will probably have to go shopping for this one.  But hey!  if you have the ingredients in your fridge...invite me over for supper!!!  You need one to two bunches of thin asparagus, one 4-ounce package of prosciutto di parma, avocado oil or ghee and sea salt.  Cover a sheet pan with foil.  Wash and trim the bottoms off the asparagus and pat dry.  Lay the asparagus in a single layer on the sheet pan and drizzle with avocado oil or melted ghee and sprinkle with sea salt.  Cut the prosciutto into strips - one for each asparagus spear.  Wrap the prosciutto around each spear, spiraling it upward to cover as much of the asparagus as possible and place side-by-side on the sheet pan.  Put the asparagus under the broiler (about 6" away from the heat...it's the second level down in my oven) for about 4-5 minutes.  Remove and toss the spears or turn them over individually and place back under the broiler until the prosciutto is crisped and the asparagus is tender.  You can jazz them up with a drizzle of high-quality aged balsamic vinegar or some toasted sesame seeds.

All of these are really flavorful and no one will ask you why you're bringing "diet food" to a party.  Paleo isn't diet food - it's REAL food.  As long as you know how to prepare your ingredients and keep a stocked pantry - a delicious, really easy, super-quick appetizer is always less than 30 minutes away!

No comments:

Post a Comment