Friday, July 8, 2016

Spiced-Up Paleo Potato Salad

For those of you following along on my journey, to a home chef-type, the best part of coming out of chemo is the return of your taste buds!  I cannot tell you how much of my joy is around the taste and smell of food.  I am that lady you see at a farmer's market or restaurant or food truck with her eyes popped out and sounds of joy between bites and a little notepad to write down flavor combos and insights and of course, my phone to document every delicious morsel!

Needless to say - I'm even more demonstrative these days - after 8 days of most things tasting like aluminum!  Things that are delightful are DELIGHTFUL!  And things that taste really good are THE BEST (you fill in the blank) THAT I'VE EVER TASTED!!! 

Which brings me to this new recipe....can I really call a recipe for potato salad new?...probably not.  Everyone, even my mom who did not really cook, could make potato salad.  Not that she actually made potato salad that often - not once Clyde Evans started selling it in those plastic containers.  (how did I survive?)

So, yes, this is pretty basic, but say your mom always bought those containers and you've never made potato salad before or you are new to modifying things to Paleo-approved.  Here is my take on it.... and it is GOOOOOOOOOOOD!  For the record...we like a little spice in our dishes at my house!

There is, and always will be, a debate in the Paleo world about russet potatoes.  I love russets.  I have teenagers.  I don't use them often, but I believe as long as you buy organic and use them in dishes that aren't deep fried, an occasional russet dish falls right in line with the idea of eating real, wholesome, fresh, unprocessed food....so there.  Also note, if you want to you can substitute Japanese Sweet Potatoes for the russets...I didn't like regular sweet potatoes or yams in this dish...it was good, but not the classic potato salad from childhood pot-lucks.  The Japanese Sweet Potatoes get you much closer.


Spiced-Up Paleo Potato Salad

Ingredients
3 pounds organic russet potatoes, peeled and diced into a 1" cube
1 cup homemade paleo mayo (I like the Whole30 Mayo recipe)
1 1/2 t chipotle powder(sub chili powder if you don't have chipotle)
3 stalks of celery, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 red onion, soaked in water for 20 minutes, then finely diced
1/2 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, finely diced
1 t sea or kosher salt
1/2 t black or white pepper (I use white pepper, because I like the look)
juice of 1/2 lime

Instructions
Add cubed potatoes to a large pot with cold, salted water and bring to a boil
Boil potatoes until fork tender, but not mushy.  Start checking them at 8-10 minutes
While potatoes are boiling, add all other ingredients (reserve 1 heaping Tablespoon of cilantro for garnish) to a large mixing bowl and combine
Drain potatoes and let cool for 5-10 minutes
Add potatoes to the bowl and combine with the chipotle mayo mixture.  (If the potatoes are still a bit warm, they will absorb the flavors better)
Taste, add salt or pepper or even a bit more chipotle to suit your tastes, then garnish with remaining cilantro.  Served chilled or at room temp.

 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's not exactly like the potato salad I remember from my childhood...but right now, to me, it's BETTER! I am going to make another batch this weekend. I hope you get a chance to try it.

      Delete